Louisville – Direct Support Professionals
- Eighteen (18) years or older with a high school diploma or GED or Twenty-one (21) years or older
- Must have effective communication skills
- Must have a valid social security number or valid work permit if not a US citizen
- Must be able to understand/carry out instructions
- Must have record keeping ability
- Must complete all initial and ongoing training requirements
- Must have own reliable transportation and auto insurance
Direct Support Professional (DSP):
- Direct Support Professionals (DSPs) are hourly employees who specialize in providing non-residential community-based one-on-one supports to individuals who have intellectual or developmental disabilities.
- The certification process includes First Aid, CPR, Medication Administration and College of Direct Support courses.
- DSPs are paired with an individual of like interests whose needs they can meet by providing supports through the Supports for Community Living (SCL) Medicaid Waiver (Community Access and/or Personal Assistance) or the Michelle P (MPW) Medicaid Waiver (Community Living Supports and/or Personal Care) which are focused on fostering independence and ensuring self-respect and dignity for individuals. Community Access places a specialized emphasis on establishing friendships and natural supports as the individual is further integrated into the community.
- DSPs assist an individual with achieving his/her specifically chosen life outcomes. Outcome choices may be related to personal hygiene, money management, medication management, socialization, relationship building, leisure choices or participation in community activities.
- DSPs track progress daily and through a monthly summary note.